The Honjo International Scholarship Foundation offers scholarships for doctoral students from countries other than Japan who are scheduled to study in the 2021 academic year.
Application deadline: October 31, 2020
Eligible countries: International
To obtain (country): Japan
Type: PhD, Master
Eligibility: To be considered for the scholarship, a student must meet all requirements.
1. The student cannot be of Japanese nationality.
2. The student must be enrolled in April 2021 or applying to a high school in Japan for the April 2021 school year. Those who are already enrolled and not yet enrolled (including those who are busy at the time of applying to join the program) can apply for this scholarship if they enroll in April 2021.
Graduate schools must apply for the 2021 program in autumn 2021, which will accept applications from April 1 to April 30, 2021 (planned).
3. In principle, students enrolled in a vocational school do not apply, but those who can submit a research plan can apply for this scholarship program.
4. To be eligible, a candidate for the doctoral program must begin doctoral studies at the age of 35. A student applying for the master’s program must begin the master’s program at the age of 30.
5. The pupil must be able to assure the committee that he will be able to find a job in his home country after graduating from high school. It doesn’t require you to have a guaranteed job or return to your home country after graduating from university, but it is expected that you have a strong will to work in your country in order to make progress.
6. The student should have a thorough understanding of international friendship and goodwill, be able to participate in events organized by the institution, and be part of the network as a member of alumni.
7. The student should be able to have a daily conversation in Japanese. The interviews are conducted in Japanese. (without exception)
Number of scholarships: 5 students
Duration and value of the program: The duration of the scholarship is determined based on the shortest duration
It is necessary to obtain the required diploma.
(1) 200,000 yen per month for one to two years
(2) 180,000 per month for 3 years
(3) 150,000 yen per month for 4 or 5 years
Travel expenses for attending an international conference, etc. The scholarship is offered.
How to apply: Prepare all of the documents listed below.
Enter “web application system”, fill in all the required information and upload the required documents (1 ~ 4) as a PDF file.
“Web application system” → https://entry.hisf.or.jp (This system will be available from September 1, 2020.)
After the registration process has been completed, the application number will be issued.
Approved student application numbers can be found on our website. We therefore recommend that you carefully save the number you receive.
It is important to check all application requirements on the award website (see link below) before applying.
Visit the program website for more details